Foods that clog arteries will naturally also reduce blood flow to the brain. Foods with higher glycemic indexes can cause harmful blood-sugar swings that steal money from your brain. Foods that are bad for the development and health of your brain often have the following characteristics:
- High levels of refined sugar
- White flour
- Trans fat
- Polyunsaturated & hydrogenated fats
- Numerous food additives such as monosodium glutamate and tartrazine.
They are also usually lacking in:
- And other healthy attributes
Refined flour products - This wheat with all the goodness stripped out of it and pounded into a powder that is used by the food industry to make a variety of products. Refined flour products are high in sugars that clog the blood stream, over time decreasing the healthy flow of blood to the brain.
- White bread (pizza, breadsticks, pretzels, bagels, buns (for burgers, hot dogs etc), pastries, flans, pies)
- White pasta (includes the green vegetable variety)
Table Sugar or Honey - okay if used sparingly, but it lacks vitamins and minerals; limit to a few teaspoons daily
Simple carbohydrates – Pretty much all Simple carbohydrates have potential to cause wild, uncontrollable shifts in the effective processing of your food by the brain. Over indulgence of simple carbohydrates also risks insulin and blood sugar issues that can cause diabetes. Simple carbohydrates include:
- Processed flour products
- Sugary foods
Butter – Organic butter is best used in moderation; it's high in fat so try to avoid eating butter daily. Definitely avoid eating margarine, it's nasty processed thing you don't want in your body.
Beer – One could debate that we put in the effort to live limitlessly so we can enjoy things like beer guiltlessly. Nonetheless, beer does nothing good for the mind or body so it should be enjoyed in moderation.
Wheat Products – For those seeking limitless mind and body there is really no reason to eat bread, pasta or cereal.
Artificial flavorings, artificial sweeteners and artificial colorings - It is extremely wise to do yourself a favor and try to skip eating substances that contain "artificial" ingredients. Any food with artificial sweeteners, artificial flavorings, or artificial coloring is a problem for the health of your brain. These are even worse for the minds of younger children.
Corn syrup and high-fructose corn syrup - Which raise triglycerides
Hydrogenated/Trans Fats– A substance that is absolutely terrible for your body and mind. Hydrogenated fats cause arteries to clog & your heart to weaken which causes heart disease in the long term. Foods containing hydrogenated fats:
- Spreads & margarine
- Packaged foods - Cake mixes, Bisquick, and other mixes
- Soups - Ramen noodles and soup cups
- Frozen Food - Delicious frozen pies, waffles, pot pies, pizzas, and breaded fish sticks which contain trans fat.
- Fast Food - Bad news here: Fries, chicken, and other foods are deep-fried in partially hydrogenated oil
- Baked Goods - Even worse news: more trans fats are used in commercially baked goods than any other category of foods: Doughnuts, cookies and cakes.
- Chips and Crackers – Check the nutrition facts of chips and crackers for trans fat. Potato chips are loaded with trans fat and should be completely avoided.
- Cookies and Candy – Look at the labels for fat content. Nutty chocolate bars and cookies will have more trans fat. If you must have chocolate, get dark chocolate -- since it's been shown to have redeeming heart-healthy virtues.
- Toppings and Dips - Nondairy creamers and flavored coffees, whipped toppings, bean dips, gravy mixes, and salad dressings contain lots of trans fat.
How to avoid hydrogenated fats:
- Avoid hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated (cottonseed, canola, soybean or other oil).
- Look to see if the hydrogenated oil is in the first 3-4 ingredients. If it is, this generally means there is a lot of it in the product and you will want to avoid it.
- Look for trans fat on the nutrition label.
Ultimately it's next to impossible to completely remove trans fats from your diet, but minimizing your intake of this fat can make a difference towards having a Limitless mind and body.
Nutrition Common Sense: It's advised to generally avoid putting things in your body that cause the high/crash effect. If you eat something that sky rockets your blood sugar and energy levels for an hour or two and then you go into low energy 'lull' phrase (that the clever marketers of energy drinks that capitalize on... 5 Hour Energy anyone?) it's good sign that it's not good for your mind or body.
This website has +400 pages of information demystifying Lifehacking, Biohacking and Smart Drugs - that's kind of an overwhelming amount of information. As soon as you join the Limitless Mindset Community (It's free!) we give you instant access to an interactive infographic which visually breaks the widely disparate topics we cover in exhaustively in our articles, videos and podcasts.