Semax by NootropicSpot.com
Semax is a designer drug, produced in Russia during the 1980s with the express purpose of improving cognitive function. It's stands out among Nootropics because you take it nasally, I regard it as a long term Biohack.
NootropicSpot.com offers both 0.1% and 1.0% Semax, I'll explain the difference later.
I researched Semax thoroughly for my detailed meta analysis and there's one reason why Biohackers should consider Semax. With Semax, more than any other Nootropic ingredient I've researched, I kept coming across Biohackers saying that it's the best smart drug they've ever tried.
If there's one thing you should expect in the short term and long term from Semax it's clarity of mind. This psuedo-spiritual property is probably due to it's anxiolytic property that tempers stress response and reactivity.
On-label indications for Semax 0.1%
- Increasing attention during repetitive and monotonous tasks
- Increasing intellectual capacity in extreme circumstances
- Alleviating the effects of cerebrovascular diseases
On-label indications for Semax 1%
- Faster recovery after strokes
- Alleviation of migraines
- Transient ischemic attacks
Semax has a notable effect on those suffering from debilitating stress and depression. At least one study has shown that (for those suffering from mental illness, at least) it had a calming, sedative effect that reduced many of their anxiety related issues. A Redditor articulated why Semax (especially in combination with Selank) is such an effective antidepressant:
First, Semax, holds the key to treat inflammation that causes depression at the source: the immune system. Semax is a synthetic analogue of ACTH (Adrenocorticotropic hormone) from Russian that most people use for stimulation and increasing mental capacity and whatnot. However, a closer look at Semax reveals a unique potential as a break through treatment for depression. ACTH in the body stimulates cortisol, the stress hormone, that suppresses the immune system. Therefore, Semax isn't just an anti-inflammatory drug that new scientific studies are focusing on for treatment in depression but a drug that can stop the inflammation at the source: the immune system. In addition, Semax increases both serotonin and dopamine in the brain, so it fights depression on two fronts, the chemical imbalance, which is only part of the picture, and the inflammation.
Next, Selank offers another breakthrough treatment for depression with more focus on anxiety. Selank is a synthetic analogue of tuftsin. Tuftsin in the body is a enzyme produced in the spleen that modulates the immune system. Tuftsin has been proposed as a possible treatment for autoimmune disorders for this reason. Back to the point, Selank modulates the immune system and directly affects T helper cells cytokines, the same culprits that cause the inflammation present in depression and anxiety. Like its brother Semax, Selank also increases serotonin in the brain. In clinical trials, Selank demonstrated as good if not better anxiolytic effects as benzos but without the addiction and side effects. Thus, Selank offers a likewise benefit for mental illness patients.
Semax works in a unique way to enable Neuroplasticity, the capacity of our brains to grow new brain cells and effectively form new memories. Research has shown it promotes brain derived neurotrophic factor and nerve growth factor which has a profound positive effect on learning capabilities. This is not an immediate effect though, it requires several weeks or months of dosing.
Mechanism of Action
In addition to stimulating the central nervous system (enhancing energy and metabolism) it works to modulate receptors for various brain chemicals: acetylcholine, dopamine, serotonin, adenosine, and histamine. This results in the mental boost associated with the drug and allows users to perform brain tasks with increased vigor, clarity, and efficiency.
Usage and Dosage
- Take 2-4 drops twice daily. So one or two drops in each nostril, twice a day.
- Cold storage is important. Leave it in your refrigerator.
0.1% vs 1.0%
There's two version of it which, as you can see, vary a lot in concentration. The 1.0% solution is a slightly better value qualitatively; however it is quite a bit more expensive, researching the numerous anecdotal reports I think the 0.1% is a better option at least for otherwise healthy Biohackers who are taking Nootropics for performance enhancement as opposed to treating chronic cognitive decline.
Risk Grade: B-
Number of Clinical Trials: 3
- All three clinical trials were done in Russia but none were placebo controlled.
- Approximately 15% of users who wrote Biohacker reports online reported pretty tame negative side effects like lack of motivation, tiredness, slowness, lethargy, irritability or moodiness.
- From a Russian study of 187 patients: Semax treatment resulted in significant clinical improvement, stabilization of the disease progress and reduced a risk of stroke and transitory ischemic attacks in the disease course.The drug is featured by minor percent of side-effects and is well tolerated by patients, including those of older age groups.
- One researcher reported: As the safety profile is extremely good, the LD50 (the dose at which 50% of the test animals die) is undeterminable. This means that in spite of increasing the dose HUNDREDS of times the therapeutic dose NONE of the animals died. Hence you find that the dosage for every indication is quite flexible.
- Strangely, there appears to be a correlation between hair loss and Semax usage, so if you really care about your hair you may want to pass on Semax.
- Even though this drug has been around a while and you can find a lot of studies on Pubmed, it's lacking breadth and quality of clinical trials.
Country of origin: Russia